Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Through to Completion

One problem I have is that I can't seem to stay focused on a single thing for too long. It's not because I have Adult ADD. It's because I have RCIS -- Rampant Creative Idea Syndrome. Coming up with a single creative idea is never enough. I'll no sooner get working on implementing an idea when a couple more pop into my head. And then those ideas force my thinking onto different tangents, which generates even more ideas!

Of course, having a lot of creative ideas isn't bad in and of itself. The problem is that researching those ideas is just so darned easy when the Internet is at my fingertips. An idea will pop into my head and I'll think, "Let me just take one minute, while I'm thinking about it, and 'google' it." An hour later I realize I've gone 59 minutes past my original allotted time, and haven't actually worked on the project I was supposed to be focusing on!

After having experienced the same thing many, many times, I've learned to avoid the temptation of "just checking" on something immediately (unless I really don't have anything else to do). What I do now is always have a couple 6"x9" notepads on hand: one for my "day job" and one for my "entrepreneurial" stuff. When I'm working on something and find myself experiencing a bout of RCIS, I quickly pull out the appropriate notepad, jot down the idea in three sentences or less, and then get back to the task at hand.

Mary Kay Ash said, "Ideas are a dime a dozen. People who implement them are priceless." Knowing how easy it is for me to fall victim to RCIS, I couldn't agree more! I can crank out creative ideas all day long... but what good are any of them if I don't drive them through to completion?

Train hard and pray harder,
Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment