Monday, February 1, 2010

Discipline is the Key

If simply reading about something would make it happen in your life, I'd be the CEO of my own media company, sporting 6-pack abs while running the company from my yacht. But unfortunately, all the knowledge in the world won't help you if you don't take action. And all the action in the world won't help you if you don't have discipline.

I don't even know how many fitness books I've read over the years. I've learned so much about diet and exercise that you'd think I was studying to be a personal trainer and certified dietician! Yet with all that knowledge, I still find myself struggling to lose weight and stay in shape.

The typical pattern is that I'll read a book (or ebook) and then immediately take action. I start making changes to my diet. I create my exercise charts and start on the new workout routine. And generally speaking, I start seeing results within the first week. Awesome!

But than life happens. Something comes up and I miss a workout. Then I go out to dinner and splurge on something not on the program. Then I miss another workout, eat another bad meal... then I'm back to my old habits and on to reading the next book.

What I've been lacking is discipline. The discipline to stick with the new lifestyle I design for myself. The discipline to keep focusing on the new behaviors, even after I've messed up a bit. The discipline to understand the information, create a realistic plan that will work for me, and then focus on the goals I've set and the path I've chosen regardless of what life throws at me.

I do believe that you need a plan; but I also believe that your plan needs to include occasional indulgences (some call them "cheat meals", though it's not really cheating if it's in your plan). Likewise, your plan should include contingencies for unplanned transgressions, which would then make those deviations just another step on the journey towards a fit and fulfilling life.

I encourage you to come up with a plan that is as flexible as you need it to be, but strict enough to actually get you to your goals. But in the end, it matters little what your specific plan looks like -- provided it's based on solid information -- as long as you're disciplined about following it.

Discipline is the key!

Train hard and pray harder,
~Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment