Saturday, February 13, 2010

My Disciplined Meal Plan

When discussing "discipline" as a process, I mentioned the fact that I have limited my food selection during the week so that it is more convenient for me to eat healthfully. The main reason that I have failed at changing my eating habits in the past is because junk food is generally more convenient to grab when you're on the run. I mean, who has the time to come up with creative breakfasts, lunches and dinners every day?

But I don't like it when health and fitness gurus make general statements like that (i.e. limit the variety of your meals) and then force you to buy their $40 ebook in order to get the details... so below you'll find my current meal plan. It's loosely based on the Paleolithic Diet, though I do indulge in black coffee and green tea in addition to drinking water with every meal and snack.

Breakfast: 2 hard-boiled eggs, 1 banana, and a 20 oz. cup of black coffee

Mid-morning Snack: 1/4 cup of roasted almonds (or mixed nuts) and 1 apple

Lunch: Tuna or chicken breast w/mustard wrapped in leaf lettuce and 12 baby carrots

Afternoon Snack: 1/4 cup of roasted almonds (or mixed nuts) and 1 apple (or banana)

Dinner: Stir Fry. I sauté about 2 cups of whatever fresh veggies I have handy (peppers, onions, squash, broccoli, carrots, etc.) in extra virgin cold pressed olive oil, and throw in some lean protein (chicken breast, pork, lean beef, fish), and add whatever spices strike my fancy that evening (except salt).

I don't get bored with breakfast, lunch and snacks because I'm too busy to care. These foods are both convenient and healthy, which fuels the temple and reduces my stress level because I don't have to worry about it. I've also found that by eating about every 3 hours, I've gotten to the point where I can't eat as much as I did just a couple weeks ago and I'm never, ever truly hungry. I eat for fuel, not because I'm feeling famished!

As for dinners, by changing up the mix of veggies, the length of time I cook them (crispy or softer), the spices I use, and the type of meat, I can make dinner taste differently each night. The biggest change has been keeping stocked up on enough veggies because I'm not using potatoes, pasta or white rice (though I've mixed in some wild rice a couple times).

That's my Monday through Friday meal plan. On the weekends I'm a little more lax, but not much. I still focus on large amounts of fruits and veggies, with ample lean protein.

Perhaps you have a different food selection that you prefer, and Lord knows there are plenty of diet programs out there from which to choose. So choose one, select a few meals and snacks that you can easily prepare and eat every weekday, and try this for a few weeks. Building the discipline is the key.

Train hard and pray harder,
~Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment