Friday, February 12, 2010

Discipline: Process & Outcome

In a recent post, I stated that I believe that discipline is the key to success. Of course, how you interpret "discipline" may be different than how I interpret it. When I say the word, I envision the internalization of rules of conduct that help to achieve and improve a higher level of self-control. In other words, discipline is both process and outcome.

For example, as I try to become more disciplined regarding the way I fuel my "temple," I have both process and outcome in mind. The outcome is that I achieve a state where I have balanced my body through proper nutrition to the point where I have virtually eliminated cravings, and everything I consume is through conscious choice rather than in response to some uncontrollable desire.

The process portion of the discipline is a bit different. I've found that I tend to be undisciplined when I am inconvenienced. When I'm in a rush, it always seems easier to grab something unhealthy than to try to come up with something healthy to eat. And let's face it: most convenience foods are highly processed nutritional nightmares! So the discipline I use to overcome that is to eat a lot of the same things. By limiting the variety of foods I eat during the week, it becomes much easier (i.e. convenient) to eat healthfully.

Do I get "bored" with my limited selection? Eventually, yes. But I've made it convenient to eat those healthy foods, so "convenience" is not an issue and "boredom" is far too lame an excuse. What the occasional food boredom has led me to do is get creative with various seasonings, and to venture out and try new fruits and vegetables that add to the variety.

Over time, the strict discipline of my limited food selection will grow into a much more varied selection of healthful foods that are enjoyable to eat. At that point, I will hopefully have developed the (unconscious) habit of eating right; and the meaning of "discipline" will focus more on the (conscious) choice of whether or not I indulge in an occasional rich and fattening meal, a dessert, or a cocktail.

Whatever you do, don't be afraid of the word "discipline". Don't see discipline as a punishment or some severe and austere plan to make you unhappy (unless that's what you desire, I suppose). When training the temple, an effective way to view discipline is as both process and outcome. Further definition is up to you!

Train hard and pray harder,
~Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment